How often do you feel stressed, overwhelmed, under pressure, and unable to think straight?
According to recent surveys, burnout and overwhelm have seen a significant increase since 2020. Burnout, not just from work but life in general has become more and more rampant, because of our always-on world.
In this episode we chat with health, lifestyle, and wellbeing speaker, Dr. Jenny Brockis.
Dr Brockis shares her experience with burnout, how mental health and mental well-being go hand-in-hand, and how one can take back control of their life. She shares simple yet powerful strategies to live a healthier and happier life where we can truly thrive.
It’s time to do things differently. Check out today’s episode of Business Chat to learn how.
- Jenny’s journey (4:30)
- Burnout doesn’t happen overnight (6:15)
- Burnout in the workplace (11:15)
- Churn and burn (11:45)
- What enables people to do their best? (12:35)
- Definition of burnout (14:12)
- Three factors of burnout (15:05)
- Sustainable resilience (15:50)
- Blaming others for our burnout (18:00)
- Lack of understanding on burnout (18:29)
- Early warning signs of burnout (20:02)
- The importance of asking for help (20:55)
- The need for education around burnout (25:22)
- Practicing self-care and boundaries (27:47)
- Social connection for mental health and overall well-being (31:15)
- Say no and letting go of things that don’t serve you (31:58)
- Diet and nutrition (32:39)
- The happiest man on earth (34:50)
- Happiness comes from within (39:25)
About Jenny Brockis
As a kid, my favourite tale was Rudyard Kipling’s story of ‘How The Elephant Got His Trunk’. Like the elephant, I was insatiably curious about the world. I wanted to know how things worked and why things were ‘Just So.’ It got me into a bit of trouble too. Like the time I set fire to the kitchen and the time I caused the ceiling in the family room to collapse after flooding the bathroom.
My curiosity led me to develop a sense of awe and wonder about the human body and why sometimes things went wrong. I’ve spent my life looking after the health and wellbeing of others, first as the Principal of a group medical practice and then from my workplace-based consultancy Brain Fit established in 2009, specialising in brain health, mental wellbeing and social connection.
As a keynote speaker I have presented to and worked with thousands of people to empower them to cultivate their own thriving mind. What it takes to stay well, think smart and stay safe.
What gets me out of bed in the morning is the opportunity to impact someone else’s world, seeing the spark of insight in their eyes when they ‘get’ what they can do for themselves. As a voracious reader and prolific writer, I continue to indulge my curiosity and have just published my fourth book Thriving Mind: How to Cultivate a Good Life (Wiley)
As a board-certified lifestyle medicine physician and best-selling author my vision is to enable everyone to be a happy, thriving human. I’ve always believed that while knowledge is power, it’s knowing how to apply that knowledge that is the gold.
When not out and about presenting or training you’ll find me either cuddled up with a book, hiking in nature, experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen or going on an adventure in the outback.