Credible Communication in Spotlight Situations
There is no better time for leaders to level up their communication skills than now. Leaders need to recognise the importance of early and credible communication to ensure that their people have a valid source of truth.
In this episode of the Business Chat Podcast, I speak with Dr. Neryl East, Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) and an expert in media, marketing, and influential communication.
Neryl talks about how leaders can communicate in “spotlight situations” – when the pressure is on, the stakes are high, and the outcome really matters.
When leaders are faced with difficult issues, they can present themselves as authentic, transparent, and have a positive desire to get their message across.
Leadership communication is not about being glib and polished, it’s about being prepared to be a better communicator. By having credible communication, leaders learn how to build trust and heighten connection with the people they lead.
- Neryl’s entrepreneurial journey (00:49)
- Examples of spotlight situations (01:37)
- Where do leaders go wrong in communication? (03:25)
- How do leaders prepare to communicate in spotlight situations (06:20)
- How should leaders manage damaging communications (11:18)
- Three tips to deliver in spotlight situations (14:31)
- The importance of debrief process (17:30)
- Case studies for a crisis communications (22:15)
- Speed of Trust: The One Thing That Changes Everything
- 059: Leading Performance with Empathy with Daniel Murray
- 049: Leadership Communication with Chris Huet
- 043:Top Tips on Trusting Leaders with Conor O’Malley
- “What you don’t change, you choose.” -Dr. Neryl East
- “If you’re waiting to communicate, people are already talking. You need to be there as the source of truth.” -Dr. Neryl East
- “With courage, an open mind, and being prepared to rehearse, any leader can be more confident in high-pressure situations.” -Dr. Neryl East
Connect With Lisa Evans
Your Host Lisa Evans is one of Australia’s leading Executive Public Speaking Coaches and Corporate Storytelling Trainers. If you would like help with training your team in soft skills, public speaking and business storytelling, get in touch with Lisa. Lisa offers a complimentary 30-minute strategy session to find out if you are a good fit to work together.
Connect with me on Facebook and Instagram
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Book a complimentary mini coaching session with Lisa here.
Grab a copy of Dr. Neryl East’s book THE HEADLINE EDGE: HOW YOU CAN GET FAMOUS IN THE MEDIA THROUGH FREE PR here.
About Dr. Neryl East
There’s never been a more important time for leaders and business owners to level up their skills as credible, clear, and connected communicators – especially in situations where the stakes are high, the pressure is on and the outcome really matters.
Dr. Neryl East shows leaders how to be heard, stand out and command influence – especially in “spotlight situations”, when the pressure is on, the stakes are high and the outcome really matters.
Neryl is a former TV journalist and Olympic announcer. She has a Ph.D. in Journalism and is the author of five books including an Amazon bestseller on media and reputation.
Nick perfectly describes what he does in life by saying, “My interests of creativity and design balance the cognitive work that I do in other areas of life.”