How To Be An Effective Leader In Decision Making
Decision-making is a crucial skill to be an effective leader. Decisions that are well-crafted help organisations move towards goals and best outcomes.
In this episode of the Business Chat Podcast, I welcome back my first podcast guest, Rob Hartnett. He is the Vice President of Growth for APAC for NeuroLeadership Institute. Rob talks about what affects decision-making and how to be an effective leader and make efficient and effective decisions.
We have to remember that decision-making is dependent on our habits, beliefs, opinions, and experiences. These aspects unintentionally create our biases, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing.
In Rob’s discussion of the SEEDS Model, he talks about the five major groups of biases that affect how we form decisions. Knowing our biases makes us mindful of our thoughts, emotions, behaviours, and actions, moreover, we become intentional with the results we want.
An effective leader knows how to evaluate situations and assess whether our bias is serving us or hindering us from reaching the best decision for our organisations.
- Rob’s entrepreneurial journey (00:38)
- What affects decision-making? (03:45)
- The SEEDS Model (06:17)
- How do we uncover our own bias? (18:17)
- The impact of facilitators in decision-making (22:53)
- The programs of NeuroLeadership Institute for organisations (30:50)
- Effortless: Make It Easier to Do What Matters Most
- 001: The Four-Step Possibility System With Rob Hartnett
- 064: Critical Thinking for Leaders with Bethan Winn
- 037: Creating Strategy on Purpose with Alex Brueckmann
- 016: Connecting Profit With Purpose With Phil Preston
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- “What’s the first possible step to your impossible?” -Rob Hartnett
- “If you can be comfortable being uncomfortable, the more innovation you’ll have in your team.” -Rob Hartnett
- “If you’re not being inclusive, there’s a good chance you’re being exclusive.” -Rob Hartnett
Connect With Lisa Evans
Your Host Lisa Evans is one of Australia’s leading Executive Public Speaking Coaches and Corporate Storytelling Trainers. If you would like help with training your team in soft skills, public speaking and business storytelling, get in touch with Lisa. Lisa offers a complimentary 30-minute strategy session to find out if you are a good fit to work together.
Connect with me on Facebook and Instagram
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Find out more about NeuroLeadership Institute here.
Grab a copy of Rob’s book It’s All Possible: How to lead an epic life and unleash the high performance hero within you here.
About Rob Hartnett
Rob likes to nerd out on research, innovation, growth mindset and the art of the possible. He works with inspiring leaders and teams who have the courage to be their authentic selves and lead people based on trust, candor and a growth mindset, so they inspire and encourage their people to do the things they didn’t think they could.
Rob is the Vice President of Growth for APAC for the New York based NeuroLeadership Institute working with a global team of researchers and consultants who are passionate about making organisations more human through science.
He is also the author of the book on a growth mindset, “It’s All Possible” and several other business books and publications.