Sales Conversations That Convert
We are all in sales, whether we are selling a tangible product, ideas, or our own brand. And when it comes to sales, we want to appear authentic and genuine to serve the right clients.
Sales and selling are often associated with having an icky feeling, but our guest today shows better ways to influence and get our ideas across to other people.
In this episode of the Business Chat Podcast, I speak with Ian Stephens, a Peak Performance and Sales Productivity Coach, award-winning speaker, and author.
Ian shares that the key to executing a successful sale is curiosity. Some don’t listen to a client’s story with gusto and intent, rather, they immediately jump into solution mode.
For Ian, it’s important to engage in a conversation with a blank page, he listens and asks good questions, and is not tempted to offer solutions right away.
He believes that clients can tell if a person is genuinely concerned about their issues, needs, and challenges. By having the mindset of curiosity, you are directing the conversation towards a better chance of converting.
- Ian’s transition from a corporate background to professional speaking (01:40)
- Where do people go wrong when it comes to selling? (07:05)
- The mindset we need to execute a successful sale (10:02)
- How to positively handle objections (12:47)
- How do we become more authentic at selling? (16:22)
- All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things
- 010: The Learning Organisation with Glenn Capelli
- 048: Getting the Most Out of LinkedIn for Leaders with Nathanial Bibby
- “Where there is judgement, let there be empathy.” -Glenn Capelli
- “Any sign of resistance is just an indicator of insufficient rapport.”- Ian Stephens
- “Part of the success formula is to surrender to an outcome.” – Ian Stephens
Connect With Lisa Evans
Your Host Lisa Evans is one of Australia’s leading Executive Public Speaking Coaches and Corporate Storytelling Trainers. If you would like help with training your team in soft skills, public speaking and business storytelling, get in touch with Lisa. Lisa offers a complimentary 30-minute strategy session to find out if you are a good fit to work together.
Connect with me on Facebook and Instagram
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Book a complimentary mini coaching session with Lisa here.
About Ian Stephens
Ian is a Peak Performance and Sales Productivity Coach, Certified Speaking Professional (CSP), author of four books, and creator of 11 online resources.
He has over 20 years experience in delivering training programs across 29 countries. Ian inspires people to change and equips them to follow through.
His training program incorporates practical tools and proven methodology that impacts behaviour, improves customer experience, and translates into increased revenue and profit.
In the world of keynote speaking, Ian is often referred to as a motivational speaker but don’t expect the feel-good fluff. You will see him in action when he speaks, and he believes in walking the talk.
His main drivers are family, health, helping others, and achievement. Ian passionately believes in harnessing natural universal laws which set you up for both personal and professional success.