The negotiation process depends on what needs to be achieved. The individuals involved can either participate in competitive or collaborative negotiation. Both of these utilise non-verbal cues that support the communication style and goal of the conversation.
In this episode of the Business Chat podcast, I welcome back the amazing Gary Edwards to carry on with the discussion for non-verbal negotiation.
There are lots of factors to consider when negotiating; the environment, tone of voice, physical looks, and mental preparation. But the main thing is having the flexibility and striking balance with negotiation style.
How we verbally express our thoughts is equally important as how we gesture our message. When there’s an inconsistency between what we say and how we say it, the people we’re negotiating with believe the negative, and we don’t get the outcome we hope for.
- Things to consider when planning for negotiation (04:29)
- Negotiation style for collaborative authentic leader (11:25)
- The mechanics of a successful negotiation (17:55)
- Voice and vocal tonality (21:29)
- The significance of slowing down and the pause (25:00)
- How important are physical looks when negotiating? (31:58)
- Why we need to be well-prepared for negotiations (37:25)
- How online platforms changed negotiations (42:48)
- Mental preparation for negotiations (47:00)
- The Triangle of Truth: The Surprisingly Simple Secret to Resolving Conflicts Large and Small
- 055: Negotiation for Leaders with Gary Edwards
- Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
- The Mehrabian Myth
- “Effort in has to equal or be less than benefit out.” -Jennifer Holloway
- “People buy people in business.” -Jennifer Holloway
- “Your brand is the best version of who you really are.” -Jennifer Holloway
Connect With Lisa Evans
Your Host Lisa Evans is one of Australia’s leading Executive Public Speaking Coaches and Corporate Storytelling Trainers. If you would like help with training your team in soft skills, public speaking and business storytelling, get in touch with Lisa. Lisa offers a complimentary 30-minute strategy session to find out if you are a good fit to work together.
Connect with me on Facebook and Instagram
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Book a complimentary mini coaching session with Lisa here.
Send Gary an email at email@example.com
About Gary Edwards
Gary is a speaking and communication coach and keynote speaker. He shows leaders and professionals how to get better results in any situation. Gary has been running his own business for the past 20 years and have worked with private and public sector clients in SA and across Australia. He is a former lawyer, university lecturer, business consultant and also a professional magician (which has given me a unique insight into how people think and make decisions, and can be influenced).Gary is a three time SA chapter president PSA, CSP, 2021 Nevin Award winner.