Embracing Life and Celebrating Ageing
We often hear people say that they don’t want to become old as if it’s a bad thing. The impact of this stigma is seen especially in women ageing while in the workplace.
Women in their 50s, 60s, and 70s feel like they have become invisible and ageing has become a hidden issue when they want to advance in their careers.
In this episode, I chat with Catherine Palin-Brinkworth who is a motivational speaker on leadership and change. Catherine shares her struggles as a woman in a male-dominated workplace.
She also talks about how she embraced life and celebrate ageing. For Catherine, growing old is a privilege that should never be taken for granted and something that should not be looked at as a disadvantage.
Growing old is a part of living, when we reach this stage of our lives, we become more conscious of our time, our actions, and we realize that we can add more value to others.
- How do we go about ageing? (02:59)
- Ways society react towards people ageing while in the workplace (05:08)
- The Hollywood factor (06:23)
- Time as the most precious resource (09:03)
- Stigma for older people (11:40)
- The value of positive self-talk (13:00)
- Being a woman in a male-dominated workplace (14:33)
- Ageing as a hidden issue in career advancement (16:47)
- The notion of retirement (20:27)
- Advantages of intergenerational mentoring (27:32)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Age Wave: How The Most Important Trend Of Our Time Will Change Your Future
- Podcast episode 31 – Leading Above The Line With Michelle Bihary
- “You don’t always get what you want in this world, and you don’t always get what you deserve, but you always get what you settle for.” -Catherine Palin-Brinkworth
- “Each day that I’ve gotten older, I can be of more value to others.” -Catherine Palin-Brinkworth
- “The joy of life is learning to manage what doesn’t work and noticing the difference.” Catherine Palin-Brinkworth
Connect With Lisa Evans
Your Host Lisa Evans is one of Australia’s leading Executive Public Speaking Coaches and Corporate Storytelling Trainers. If you would like help with training your team in soft skills, public speaking and business storytelling, get in touch with Lisa. Lisa offers a complimentary 30-minute strategy session to find out if you are a good fit to work together.
Connect with me on Facebook and Instagram
Connect with me on LinkedIn
You can get a copy of Catherine’s book “What Is Success?: Clarify Your Purpose and Review Your Beliefs” here.
About Catherine Palin-Brinkworth
Catherine is a motivational speaker on leadership and change, a business strategist, international leader, behavioral scientist, and author.
Ever since she established her business consultancy, speaking, and training organization 30 years ago, Catherine has shared her messages and motivation at meetings and events all around the world.
She is a champion of leadership transformation and through her program called “Leadershift”, she assists leaders to manage every shift with a balance of focus and flexibility.